Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Technique Tuesday at Shelly's Images

Hi again! I'm back with another exciting post! This time I'm here to share a super fun tutorial!


You know how they say 'Necessity is the mother of all invention'? Well, I have my own version of the same idea. See I have been hunting for my Shrink Plastic for two weeks to try out another new 'experiment' to share with you today. But then it dawned on me that I could try something else out to do the same thing!


Today I'm going to show you how to make Wine Charms - you know those handy little things that make it easier to find your misplaced glass - just in time to make up a set for the holidays! It's quick and easy and they look great!

Here's what you need:

- Shelly's Images digis, printer, heavyweight cardstock
- Your favorite coloring medium (colored pencils, markers, etc.)
- Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel (UTEE) - in GLOSS finish
- Heat Gun and heat resistant protective work surface
- Metal (Earring) Jewelery finding wires

First, you'll need to take your favorite Shelly's Images Digis and shrink them down to size. You won't want them to be too big and clunky on your wine glasses, but you'll want your guests to be able to appreciate the beauty of Shelly's Images, and your talent! Print them on your computer printer using a heavy weight cardstock.

Next, I've colored mine with Prismacolor Verithin Pencils because they are able to color in the very fine details of each of the digis. I chose different digi's for my set, but you could also differentiate by using different colors, or a theme - like Halloween, or Christmas digis.

Then, choose your favorite round, scalloped, oval, or whatever shaped punch you want, and punch out the colored images. Be sure to leave a bit of room around the edges for the next step! Tip: Flip the punch over to see what your image will look like before punching.
Once your colored images are punched out, you need to make a hole for the metal ring finding to go through. I used my Crop-a -Dile to make my holes in my charms. You want them to be a decent size, because the next step may seal up the holes if you make them too small!
Now the fun part! Cover your work area with heat resistent material (I use a large cardboard box lined with foil). You need to cover all your charms with an even layer of Glossy UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel). Using your heat tool, melt the UTEE until it is clear. Don't freak out...it looks bumpy until you do a few more coats of UTEE! Add UTEE 2 more times, using your heat tool to melt it all in between. They should be smooth and the design should be easy to see through the transparent, glossy UTEE. TIP: If the holes get plugged up with UTEE, poke them with a sharpened white crayon while they are hot. UTEE doesn't stick to the crayon, and the crayon doesn't leave a mark on your charm! Thread your metal findings wire through each, and VOILA - you have personally, handmade Wine Charms!


Pretty cool huh? Can't you see using a bunch of these purses for the next time you get together with the girls? They'd also make a wonderful hostess gift! And it's not to early to be thinking of 'Secret Santas', teacher/bus driver gifts or stocking stuffers either!

6 comments:

  1. Absolutley fabulous idea scrappy. well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this tutorial Scrappy. I definitely want to make some of these too. Oooh...the list of things I want to do just keeps growing and growing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great adia:))Thank you for sharing this tutorial with us:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool idea Scrappy! I think if you make a bunch of purses for a group of ladies, I'm assuming that they would each be colored differently, so they know whose glass is theirs.
    My sister makes wine glass charms, no images just different colored glass beads. She has a repeat business customer, a wine store that can't keep them in stock they go that quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a WONDERFUL tutorial and great idea Scrappy!! :)
    Hugs!
    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super tutorial Scrappy. Lovely idea!
    Thanks for sharing that!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete