Sunday, December 2, 2012

On the 2nd Day of Christmas....



Shelly's Images gave to meeeeee....ok, better not try to sing it.  I don't want to scare everyone away.  :)
Today we are sharing this fun Paper Christmas Stocking project idea and template. 



This is my favorite Christmas project this year and I am so excited to share the template and instructions on how to make these cute stockings.

So let's get started.  You can choose to print the pattern onto the wrong side of your paper or cut out and trace your pattern onto your paper.  I actually imported the pattern using the "pixel trace" option with my Make the Cut Software.  The only piece that isn't on the pattern is the small rectangle that is used as the "hanger".  This piece of cardstock is approximately 1/2 inch by 4 inches.  

The template is available for download using the links below.


1. If you are printing the template using Word just insert the template as a picture into your document.  The pattern is 8 1/2 by 11 so it will insert perfectly into the document.  Before printing make sure you have all of your margins set to 0.  If you have any trouble with the pattern just email me and I will be happy to help.
The picture below shows all of my pieces organized.  I used Bazzill Cranberry for the cuff pieces and Bazzill Ivy for the stocking pieces.  The patterned paper is printed paper from Shery K Designs.  I am also using our "Santa" for the hanging tag on my stocking.  The full color version will be in our store very soon.
2. Start by using your favorite adhesive to attach the patterned paper cuff pieces to the cardstock cuff pieces.   If you would like to add stitching to the cuff be sure to do that step now.

 3. Use adhesive to attach the toe patterned paper pieces to the stocking.
Again, if you would like to add stitching you want to complete that stitching at this point.
4.  I found that the best adhesive for attaching the two stocking pieces together was Scor-Tape.  Just run it close to the edge of one stocking and then carefully line up both sides to attach.
 5. Use score tape again to make a loop for the hanger.  Just fold so both ends meet.  Then wrap the Scor-Tape all the way around for attaching to the stocking.
6.  Attach the loop to the corner opposite the toe.
7.  I used my ATG to add adhesive to the back of one cuff piece. Attach it to the stocking base.  I like to line up the top of the cuff piece with the top of the stocking piece and then allow the cuff to extend past the edge of the stocking on both sided.
8. Now that one side is attached you will be able to line up the cuff piece on the other side of the stocking.  I like to pick up the pieces and line them up to glue them.
9. Thread a length of ribbon through the "hanger" to hold our pretty tag.  I used a Spellbinders die to cut a scalloped circle.  Use adhesive to attach the ribbon to the top of the scalloped circle.  Then add adhesive to the back of the circle Santa piece and attach it on top of the ribbon.  Now the ribbon is nicely sandwiched between the scalloped circle and the Santa circle.
 10. I made a ribbon for the corner of my stocking using my Bow Easy.  I like to attach this ribbon with hot glue.

This cute stocking is wonderful for holding little gifts like gift cards.  As shown in the picture above you can just tuck them in your tree until you hand them out on Christmas morning.  I will be using these paper stockings at each place setting on our Christmas table.

I hope you enjoyed our 2nd Day of Christmas.  The templates and tutorial are offered here free, but please be kind enough to leave us a comment if you are downloading our templates.
Be sure to check back tomorrow for the fun that Darlene has planned.  You won't want to miss your opportunity to win a fun prize. 



10 comments:

  1. Wow, great work, love the stocking!

    hugs Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH WOW ... how cool is this idea! Thanks so much Shelly! I'm off to print a few ... hope they come out as great as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this fun project!
    xxx Margreet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Shelly, I love the stocking!
    Hugs, Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelly this is beautiful thank you for sharing it x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your stocking! It looks beautiful on your place setting!
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these stocking! Thanks for sharing!
    Love, Mieke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I needed this stocking pattern a couple of years ago!! Love it!! HUgsxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very clever idea Shelly -thanks for sharing it! Have a blessed week! Gail http://ilikepaper01.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that is so stinking cute. I love it!

    CraftyGirl

    ReplyDelete